St. Alban’s Episcopal Church was founded as a result of the combined efforts of Mary S. Moore and Ellen D. Leach. In 1888 Mary Moore moved from Halifax, NC to Littleton, NC. She found no Episcopal Church here to allow her to follow her Episcopal upbringing and worship. Mrs. Moore met and became friends with Ellen Leach who also wished to have an Episcopal Church in Littleton. After some time, Mrs. Leach’s husband, Captain John P. Leach, donated the land necessary for construction
Three years later, in 1891, church construction was completed and the doors were opened to the Chapel of the Cross, as it was originally called. The church’s first organ was purchased in 1904. That same year the church was consecrated and named St. Alban’s.
By 1952 a parish hall was built. Other additions have been made over the years including stained glass windows and a hand carved reredos (the wood partitions behind the altar).
The church has recently been designated a “Living Historic Church” by the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina. Except for some modernizing updates, St. Alban’s remains as it was over 100 years ago.
Mission Statement: To know Christ and to make Him known in word and deed.
Sunday services - 9:30 am
The Rev. Brian E. Benton serves as Vicar of St. Alban's. He began his ministry with the parish in November, 2017, and was formally inducted by the Right Rev. Samuel Rodman, Bishop of the Diocese of North Carolina, in February, 2018. Father Benton, who was ordained in 2005, has previously served churches in California, Michigan, and Salisbury, North Carolina. He also served as the priest of the Chapel of the Good Shepherd in Ridgeway, NC. He brings to St. Alban's strong pastoral care, a strategic vision, and a desire for community outreach in Christ's name.
Father Benton lives in Wake Forest with his wife and three children. Father Benton fills the position formerly held by the Rev. Beverly Huck, now retired.